Monday, August 22, 2011

The best things in life aren't always free.....but they are cheap!


 Since Dollar Tree was one of the first stores to display their Halloween merchandise, beating even the usually quick triggered hell I call Wal-Mart, I figured I would get them wicKED ranKED and display some of the good deals I snagged. Without further delay, here they are:
    Dollar Tree always has something for every occasion at ridiculously cheap prices, but this year they have done a bang up job for All Hallows Eve.
   You will notice the skulls that I have already blogged earlier about. I picked up a dozen of them and they are really working out well by being re-purposed into really great and gory props.
   Miranda grabbed these excellent signs, and the top one, will go well with the Zombie theme we are envisioning this Halloween. Of course the menu signs will be perfect for our annual Halloween party to add ambiance to our gruesome and gross buffet. They are more whimsical than frightening but I like to keep our Party an even mesh of the two.
   The brains, liver, heart and severed hand and foot are also just gory attention getting props we will sprinkle among the party foods for good (ghoul?) measure. The reason we have such a high brain to liver/heart ratio is due to Miranda wanting to stagger around the yard on Halloween night, dressed as a zombie, eating them as she goes. When she walked to the counter with the armload of brains and her blond pony tail bouncing on her head, I remarked that there was a joke there somewhere... but I was not going to be brave enough to find it.

   One of Miranda's best purchases of the day was the lenticular pictures.


   For Halloween, we always swap out all our normal hanging pictures and art work in the house for Halloween themed items. These will look great in the guest bathroom.  They look pretty good just by themselves, but one could easily dress them up in a real glass and wood frame (which Dollar tree sells for... you guessed it... a dollar). It would be easy to antique the frame for added effect.
   Dollar Tree also had several other "cutesy" items for kids, party supplies, ceramic bowls, cups, what-nots as well as various other Halloween decorations. One item of note, that I did not grab, were the large black spiders for a buck. They are the same ones Wal-mart was selling last year for $3.99! Not to mention the jack-o-lantern, ghost,  and black star helium balloons for parties or little ones.
    Also in stock were numerous fall decor items such as flower arrangement's, leaf garland, wreaths, and the ever present (not so scary) scarecrows.
   I also grabbed some standard yard haunting gear such as duck tape, masking tape, gloves, Elmer's glue, utility blades, and wire.
   When all is said and done, Dollar Tree should be considered a staple for Halloween enthusiasts of all genres. Usually their items do tend to cater to younger children, but you luck up every now and then and get some great stuff. Even if you plan to dismantle, repaint, or re-purpose for the greater good. Plus they are cheap! With the average yard haunters budget hitting around 3 to 5 thousand dollars each year, cheap is the new scary! You can also order online here at the Dollar Tree website or find a store close to you here through the store locator. For all this, I have wicKEDly ranKED Dollartree 4 out of 5 Grimaces this year!

   So this Halloween, don't lose your head.....



just use your brains.......


Go to Dollar Tree for great Halloween merchandise without spending an arm and a leg!


2 comments:

  1. LOVE YOUR SITE!!! HAVE YOU EVER CHECKED OUT JOANN FABRICS FOR HALLOWEEN ITEMS? I WAS THERE JUST LAST THURSDAY AND THEY HAD EVERYTHING AT 60% OFF! PLEASE EXCUSE THE CAPS...NO I'M NOT YELLING,LOL I JUST FIND IT EASIER TO SEE AND DO. THANKS FOR ALL THE IDEAS....HAPPY HAUNTING!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes I shop there. There are none close to me, but the last time I was in Northern VA I stopped at one. I get a catalog and I order online. I purchased all of the window hangs and some of the party items from there last year...they rock!

      Delete

Do you have wicked words of wisdom? Then please leave a comment.