Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Rainy day project of evil (or how to keep from losing it cause you can't work on your big Halloween projects outside)

   This time of year, there is so much to do. Every minute could/should be filled with working towards our party, decorations, and yard haunt.  The rain is confounding me greatly.
   Thankfully, my ever eagle eyed mother found a candle at a yard sale that she thought I could "spook up".



   The little fat cherubs stared at me with blank mockery. My mother told me if I could not use it, just toss it and give the coconut scented candle to my girlfriend. With all I have to do on my plate, that was a possibility. Looking closer at the candle holder, I saw there were oak leaves at the bottom of the cherubs feet. This was a good sign. Since the rain was keeping me away from my large projects, I grabbed some paint and started to work on "spooking up" this Victorian reject.
    Here is the finished product :




   Not bad. I was planning on doing some more detail, but my girlfriend said she liked it the way it is. I am not sure if I will use it as a candle holder still.


   I think a fat red candle would look good, but those are all packed up (till the dang rain stops).


   It could function as a pumpkin holder in a pinch. I bet a sinister jack-o-lantern would look good (again packed away and can't get em out due to rain).


   Something about this seems very Shakespearean to me. I had to use the Target glow in the dark skull because all of my good, realistic ones are... well you know where they are. I think I like the skull.
   I am looking for opinions. What should it hold? Should I do more detail work? Should I buy a huge umbrella? I look forward to your wicKED comments.

5 comments:

  1. I like it the way it is now and I think it looks awesome with the skull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous job!! I love the idea of it holding a jack-o-lantern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of like it with the cream-colored candle. Maybe a satin finish would be nice.

    But then again, I like the skull, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job transforming this boring little object. It would look fantastic with a glowing orb sitting on the base. We have used a white glass ceiling globe (Home Depot-$5.97) and an LED candle on the inside. I'm sure we could have rigged up something more permanent but it is easy just to lift up the globe, turn the candle on and replace the globe. I like your idea of a sinister pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the cool ideas! I will be trying them all and see which one fits best with our dinning room set up this year. I love the idea of the white globe! I will try it and follow up with a post.

    ReplyDelete

Do you have wicked words of wisdom? Then please leave a comment.